Power BI is nothing but a cloud-based business analytics tool that helps companies monitor business health with the help of live dashboards & interactive reports on the go.
In a business intelligence solution, data must be developed and modified. If source data is in a relational database, the possibilities are that it is optimized for transactional processing or application development. With its compelling self-service capabilities, business users are no longer reliant on IT service providers for exacting, converting, and interpreting data.
The journey to migrate the existing OBIEE model to Power BI comes with significant challenges.
- Size Limitations: In Power BI, there are certain limitations to the data it can take. The SQL Server Analysis Services tabular model is added between the database and Power BI to address this limitation. The in-memory databases, i.e., SSAS tabular models, are used by the xVelocity analytics engine to deliver fast response time.
- Compatibility Issues: The database version might not be compatible with SSAS. Before migrating to Power BI, companies have to upgrade the SQL Server database. The up-gradation of the database included testing and migration of stored procedures, SSIS packages, and SSIS jobs.
- Lack of Expertise: With no hands-on experience in Power BI or SSAS, migration to Power BI is a task. As a company, make sure you have the right expertise to learn these tools and then implement them.
Companies can create reports in Power BI Desktop; viewers can utilize Report Server to access the information on a web browser or mobile device or receive them through email.
The Benefits of Power BI are:
- Power BI is a cloud-based tool and can be accessed through a web browser
- Connects data efficiently
- Connects many sources to build a report
- Permits to drag and drop visuals
- Provides Row-Level Security (RLS)
Power BI Report Server is an on-premise solution with the flexibleness to move to the cloud effortlessly. It is included with Power BI Premium so that moving to the cloud becomes easier. Power BI makes it simpler to transform data. Using this approach saves time and money for any project, allowing industry professionals to meet their reporting needs.